Tuesday 28 May 2013

switching time streams

currently I have been working on medieval clothes. I am not only a mad sci fi / 501st costumer I'm also a part the SCA ( Society for Creative Anachronism) This year we have a big event coming up and I, as the saying goes, don't have a thing to wear. Well I need to amend that I don't have anything that I've made that looks great to wear as I have some very very nice hand-me-downs made by people who actually know what they are doing.

Anyway I have been working on a basic Tudor era style kit kirtle, partlet, chemise ( smock or shirt or what ever you wish to call it.









I don't have pictures of the disaster smock yet because I was in WTFDIDTFT mode but I think it will be  *ahem* acceptable and the next one will be better. It's a good job I have a very large supply of old linen and cotton sheets on hand.

The kirtle is made from green raw silk. It used to be a burgundian style dress but since I hated that dress and never wore it I decided to un make it and do something with the fabric I actually would wear.

Most of this was mainly to see if I actually could do something more complicated than a T-tunic because with the 501st star wars Imperial uniform my confidence has been blown out of the water. What I have discovered is that I am really great with hand work but when it comes to 3 dimensional  pattern drafting I am pretty clueless and it's frustrating the hell out of me. So this is what's been keeping my hands busy. This is a distraction from the officer uniform because I'm really not sure I can do it even though in my head I know I should be able to. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment