Friday, 13 April 2012

Making an Imperial Officer Uniform.

So this is my journey into the dark side of WTF sewing.About 2 years ago I promised the love of my life I would make him an imperial officer. I did hours upon hours of research. Forums, pictures, blogs and after this I come to the single conclusion no one has the answers. Lucas Arts hasn't issued an official pattern so we struggle in the dark hoping to get it right. I am not a seamstress. I know how to sew but my talents in this area are rudimentary. So as one can imagine tailoring a jacket is not something that comes easily to me.

Almost every single source said that the basic pattern shape comes from this pattern here. The McCalls Civil War officer uniform. It's hard to get in Germany so as one can imagine I jumped through some hoops to buy this.

Marcus ( the husband guinea pig)  is a fairly tall, decently shaped guy so after measuring I went with the pattern's L size. I cut a paper pattern copy then we used a cheap cotton muslin to cut a useable pattern.


This is the pattern everyone suggests we use to make the Imperial Outfit.

This is what it looks like.On the duct tape dummy as you can see it's HUGE across the shoulders but more slender around the body.
as you can see it is quite large across the shoulders. The duct tape dummy is body accurate for my husband.
side view
the back side. As you can see it's really large.
back view.


left side view
So as you can see from these two views the shoulder seams are off completely and the arm holes are far too big.  My friend J who has been helping me and who knows a whole lot more about what she is doing, we cut the pattern out and then I tacked it together. When I tried it on Marcus it was far too big and I had no idea how to fix it so it sat for a while.

Yesterday J came over to continue the process and  we discovered after trying to figure out how to fix this awful pattern that the best idea was to scrap it and draft a pattern from scratch so we draped the muslin over Marcus and drew the pattern out ON him and started all over again. What I learned from this is that it's actually easier to create one's own pattern than try to fix an existing one especially when the existing one has apparently been drafted to fit mutants.


more to come...




1 comment:

  1. O my word, this is exactly what I want to do for my husband! With the same pattern!

    ReplyDelete