Almost every single source said that the basic pattern shape comes from this pattern here. The McCalls Civil War officer uniform. It's hard to get in Germany so as one can imagine I jumped through some hoops to buy this.
Marcus ( the husband guinea pig) is a fairly tall, decently shaped guy so after measuring I went with the pattern's L size. I cut a paper pattern copy then we used a cheap cotton muslin to cut a useable pattern.
|This is the pattern everyone suggests we use to make the Imperial Outfit.|
This is what it looks like.On the duct tape dummy as you can see it's HUGE across the shoulders but more slender around the body.
|as you can see it is quite large across the shoulders. The duct tape dummy is body accurate for my husband.|
|left side view|
Yesterday J came over to continue the process and we discovered after trying to figure out how to fix this awful pattern that the best idea was to scrap it and draft a pattern from scratch so we draped the muslin over Marcus and drew the pattern out ON him and started all over again. What I learned from this is that it's actually easier to create one's own pattern than try to fix an existing one especially when the existing one has apparently been drafted to fit mutants.
more to come...